A great dessert for all occassion which the kids will love.
- 2 cups plain flour
- 125g chilled Australian unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons wate
- 4-5 apples or pears, peeled, cored and sliced
- 100ml water
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, extra
- 50g Australian unsalted butter, cubed, extra
- Australian pure cream, for serving
- Blend flour, butter, egg, caster sugar and water in a food processor until pastry comes together. Form into a ball, flatten, wrap and refrigerate 15 minutes. Roll out between two sheets of baking paper to 5mm thickness.
- Arrange apple slices in a buttered 25cm round flan dish.
- Heat water, sugar and lemon juice, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil without stirring until just golden. Stir in extra butter and pour evenly over apples.
- Cover with pastry and trim edges. Bake at 200°C for 20-25 minutes until golden. Cool before turning out upside down onto a dish. Serve with a dollop of pure cream.
Tip: For picnics, transport this tart in the flan dish and turn out just before serving.
Recipe by: Dairy Australia Test Kitchen