These ‘mini banana fritters’ have been especially made to dip into the Hot Toffee Syrup, along with fresh fruit, for a special ‘sticky treat’.
- 1/2 cup SR flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 pineapple, peeled, cut into 2 cm chunks
- 6 bananas, cut into 2 cm chunks
- 1 punnet strawberries, leaves removed
- 1/4 pawpaw, peeled, cut into 2 cm chunks
- 2 cups oil
Hot Toffee Syrup:
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp Golden Syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Make fritter batter by combining flour with 1 egg and water and set aside.
- Meanwhile, to prepare the Hot Toffee Syrup: Combine sugar, Golden Syrup, water and vanilla in a small saucepan. Bring mixture to boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat and cook over low-medium heat until a thick syrup consistency, about 5 minutes.
- Arrange prepared fruit on ends of bamboo skewers, set aside 20 ‘banana skewers’ for the fritters and arrange remaining fruit skewers on serving platter.
- Heat oil in a small saucepan until it bubbles up when end of a wooden spoon is dipped in.
- One by one, dip skewered banana chunks in batter. Drain excess batter from fruit and put in hot oil. Cook 6 or so skewers at one time until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Repeat until all fruit and batter is used up.
- Add banana fritter dippers to platter and serve with a bowl of Hot Toffee Syrup.
Recipe by: Vikki Leng