Artichoke hearts are ideal on an antipasto platter, a buffet meal or to accompany a barbecue.
- 3 litres water to boil
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 6 globe artichokes, washed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 crushed garlic cloves
- Pinch of salt
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- Bring water to the boil and stir in lemon juice.
- Trim artichoke stalks back to 5-6 cm. Pull off all tough outer leaves until you reach tender inside ‘heart’.
- Using a large sharp stainless steel knife, cut off top thirds of artichokes, then cut artichoke hearts in half lengthways.
- Add to boiling water and cook until tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove artichokes and arrange in serving dish.
- Combine olive oil, crushed garlic and salt to taste. Drizzle mixture over warm artichokes and dust with coarsely ground black pepper.
Recipe by: Vikki Leng