Asian herbs enhance the sweet flavour of mussels for a quick and easy meal.
- 500g mussels in the shell, well scrubbed and debearded
- 4 slices galangal
- 2 stalks lemon grass, cut in 5 cm. lengths and lightly crushed
- 2 tbsp. kaffir lime leaves, shredded
- 1 cup water
- In a shallow pan able to take all the mussels, bring the water to the boil. Add the galangal, lemon grass and lime leaves and simmer for a few minutes. Add the mussels, cover the pan and simmer, shaking occasionally, for about three minutes or until all the mussels have opened.
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 sliced fresh large red (mild) chillies
- 1 tsp. palm sugar
- 2 tbsp. fish sauce
- 2 tbsp. lime juice
- In a mortar, pound the garlic, chillies and palm sugar to blend and add the lime juice and fish sauce to obtain a smooth sauce.
Serve the mussels in their cooking pan with the dipping sauce on the side.
Recipe by: Meera Freeman