A perfect start to a big day, this smoothie breakfast bowl has all you need to hit the day running.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Freezer time: 30 minutes or less
- 1 punnet Victorian strawberries, washed & hulled
- 1 cup chopped frozen banana (approx. 1 small banana)
- ½ cup thick coconut milk*
- 1 tablespoon pure almond nut butter
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon maca powder
- ¼ teaspoon guar gum (optional)
- Place strawberries in a food processor or blender and blend on medium speed to form a rough puree that is slightly chunky. Remove from blender and place in a small mixing bowl, add maple syrup and stir to combine.
- Clean food processor or high powered blender, then add in frozen banana, coconut milk, almond butter, maca powder and guar gum if using. Guar gum makes the ice cream a little creamier but isn’t vital. Process on high speed until mixture is thick and creamy and resembles soft serve ice cream.
- Add strawberry mix to ice cream and blend to just combine. The mixture will now be a little runny so transfer ice cream to an ice cream churner and churn till thickened and creamy or place in a shallow based bowl or dish and pop in the freezer, whisking every 15 minutes until thick and creamy.
- Serve ice cream straight away or store in freezer, keeping in mind vegan ice cream will need to be removed from the freezer for about 15 – 20 minutes, depending on the temperature of the room before it can be scooped as it’s harder than normal ice cream.
- Serve ice cream with extra chopped strawberries and crushed almonds (optional)
Place whole can of coconut milk in fridge overnight as the milk will naturally thicken and “set,” use the thick part for the ice cream and leave the watery runny part for another recipe like a smoothie.
Recipe by: Dani Venn