Muffins are great for breakfast, the school lunchbox or a light snack anytime of day.
- 100g melted butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup brown suga
- 3/4 cup yoghurt
- 2 eggs
- Finely grated rind and juice of 1 orange
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
Glazed Orange Slices
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 oranges, cut into 1/2 cm slices
- Preheat oven to 190°C. Use a little of the melted butter to brush over 12 muffin pans.
- Combine remaining butter, sugar, yoghurt, egg, orange rind and juice. Sift flour and bicarbonate of soda and add to moist mixture, folding through until just combined.
- Divide mixture between prepared muffin pans and bake until golden brown and cooked through, 15 – 20 minutes.
- To prepare the Glazed Orange Slices: mix sugar and water in a frying pan and bring to boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat, add orange slices and cook gently 10 minutes, carefully turning slices carefully to ensure they are coated with syrup.
- Top muffins with orange slices as soon as they come out of oven, spooning any extra syrup over while muffins are still in their pans.
Recipe by: Vikki Leng